Today In this post I’m am going to teach you about the “Advantages and Disadvantages of Geothermal Energy“ which is a renewable energy source. There are lots of other blogs available on the internet but not specific and detailed. Here I’m trying to solve this problem and give a complete and detailed note on “Advantages and Disadvantages of Geothermal Energy 2020“.
Advantages of Geothermal Energy:
1. It’s environment-friendly, it’s very less or we can say that it provides a negligible impact on the environment
2. This system is adaptable to many different conditions. They can be used to heat, cool or power individual homes, whose district or industrial processes.
3. Pumps can store heat and that is the major advantage and reasons that we can use it after some time.
4. It is Inexhaustible.
5. It’s a low-cost Energy.
6. It’s a renewable energy source.
7. In this, we can produce a huge amount of energy and it can be available at any time.
8. Avoids import and benefit local economies.
9. It offers modular, incremental development and village power to remote sites.
10. It generates continuous, reliable “Baseload” Power.
11. It conserves fossil fuels and contributes to diversity in energy sources.
12. It provides clean and safe energy using little land not harmful to the environment.
13. In this, there is no fuel required for energy production.
14. After the initial building cost, little to no cost in generating power.
15. It’s more reliable than other alternatives.
16. With the current usage of this energy, 5.8 million tons of carbon dioxide have been saved.
17. Can scrape out sulfur that could have been released otherwise.
18. In geothermal energy facility that has been built in the last 100 years is still in production.
19. It does not produce greenhouse gases.
20. Energy does not run out.
Disadvantages of Geothermal Energy:
1. Plant is an extremely expensive upfront cost to install ground source heat pumps.
2. It demands steam to produce energy.
3. It is not a large scale replacement to classic energy sources, it can only be used for individual buildings.
4. Some plants use lots of water, sometimes it’s going to waste that water and that is how it is creating water pollution.
5. These energy sources are close to volcanic activity, it’s not dangerous every time but some time gases are highly dangerous.
6. We cannot change supply.
7. In a plant, deep drilling is so much difficult.
8. When the steam is being pumped out of the ground, it comes in the local environment and then it could go right back into the earth and create pollution.
9. Poisonous gases can seep from beneath the earth and be released into the air.
10. Transportation is hard for the consumer.
11. The source can be unreliable and run out of steam perhaps to decades.
12. Hazardous gases and minerals may come up from underground difficult to safely dispose of.
13. It is not universally available.
14. If done incorrectly, It can produce pollutants.
15. Geothermal sites sometimes have no steams.
16. During drilling, if it’s Improper drilling into the earth, that can be release hazardous minerals and gases.
17. It’s good for treating the dissolved gases.
18. It is an extremely expensive upfront cost for the consumer to install ground source heat pumps.
19. It’s not a large scale replacement to classic. It can only be used for individual buildings.
20. In Geothermal energy after installing, it still requires electricity to work.